Wednesday 12 October 2016

What I Did Before Becoming a Home Based Agent



Before becoming a home based agent, I worked as Office Administrator for a large church in the Niagara Region, Ontario. My position there was, in many ways, a balancing act as I was the first point of contact for whoever called in or walked through the office door for assistance. It was definitely not a 9 to 5 job and there was always the challenge of "switching off" at the end of the day. The position required a sympathetic ear and good listening skills for those having just lost a loved one or finding themselves in a life crisis, and the discernment to know whether the person was in genuine need or not. The frequent interruptions during the day sometimes posed a challenge for a structured person like me, but my love for social interaction and assisting people helped keep things in balance.

The church was community-focused and busy, with a plethora of activities going on for each member of the family.  From facility and wedding bookings to standing in front of a video camera doing the weekly announcements, I found myself stretched and encouraged to try new ventures.  To my surprise, I found the video announcements fun and enjoyed working with our creative team to make the presentations fresh and engaging. Who knew I had an extrovert side?  

The team of people I had the privilege of working with became like family in many ways.  We would share ideas with one another and provide support when dealing with difficult situations that due to their nature, had to remain confidential.  There were many times I had to think on my feet such as when our preschool area experienced a flood or when the details of a large funeral needed to be planned for the same day as a band performing a Christmas concert! Not every day was so serious, however, and each one of us found ourselves the object of pranks and surprises, at any given time. There was a lot a laughter in the office and I will always be thankful for the life skills, great memories, and strong friendships that were forged during my 12 years there.  




For more information about The Travel Agent Next Door please visit 
www.thetravelagentnextdoor.com

No comments: