Friday 28 October 2016

Skills from My Previous Careers That I Have Been Able to Apply to My New Role As Travel Agent

Although becoming a travel agent was a huge leap of faith for me, I have been able to apply a variety of skills that were developed during my previous careers.

Greeting and Interacting with People:
I have always enjoyed meeting people and hearing their stories.  When I think back to my early career working as a bilingual sales coordinator for Mary Kay Cosmetics Ltd., I was quite shy, but talking to consultants over the phone and then meeting and assisting them at seminars proved to be enjoyable.  I worked as part of the sales department team, providing support for the consultants to grow their businesses and planning special events. This experience brought me out of my shell and made me realise that interacting with people is one of my strengths. 


Meeting new people who may become potential clients is a key part of my career as a travel agent.  I am warm and friendly when speaking with them and communicate to them that their opinions and travel intentions are very important to me.  I have also pushed myself out of my comfort zone quite often. I will engage people in conversation, and if the timing seems right, I offer them my services and business card.

Prioritizing Tasks:
I am a structured person, and each of my former jobs required the prioritizing of tasks for the day. When I worked for Peel Police Services, I provided administrative support to several different departments and there was also the seniority of the officers to take into consideration. This experience, although challenging at times, was instrumental in developing my goal setting skills and ensuring deadlines were met each day.  

In the field of travel, there are quiet seasons but also days when several clients will contact me within a short space of time.  My previous work experience and organisational skills have been vital in systematically handling client requests as quickly and smoothly as possible.

Computer and Social Media Experience:
My former employment required keyboarding and computer skills including website and social media updating on a regular basis.

I have found my computer skills to be an asset when communicating with clients via e-mail or through Facebook Messenger.  They are also invaluable when doing travel research for clients; a part of the job that I love!  I have a Facebook business page https://www.facebook.com/nextdoorcruiseandtravel/ and found the guidance and training of TTAND marketing staff to be very helpful. Venturing into the world of Instagram and LinkedIn has brought more challenges, but in a positive way. As a travel agent, I need to be accessible to present and future clients. Marketing my brand in a visually appealing manner that also conveys knowledge and integrity is very important.  

One way I do this is to encourage potential clients to read my client reviews on my Facebook page. Despite our technological age, however, there is much truth in the saying that word of mouth is still the most powerful business builder of all. I enjoy working hard for my clients and trust that their referrals will continue to help me build a solid client base.


For more information about The Travel Agent Next Door please visit
www.thetravelagentnextdoor.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment